LQM announced at yesterday’s annual CIEH Standing Conference on Land Contamination that we will be updating the LQM/CIEH GAC publication in the coming months.
While the S4ULs will continue to be of use in screening out substances from further consideration under Part 2A, we envisage their main role will be as state-of-the-art generic assessment criteria in the planning system. The S4ULs will be:
- based on Health Criteria Values, updated to reflect changes since 2009
- derived for the standard CLEA land uses and the two public open space scenarios developed by Defra SP1010
- developed for ca 85 substances (those covered by the LQM/CIEH GAC and the SGV substances)
- compliant with SR2 and the long standing principle of ‘suitable for use’
- reflecting changes to exposure parameters produced by Defra SP1010
- published in book form with explicit permission to quote values for commercial and regulatory purposes
As was the case for the first and second edition of the LQM/CIEH GAC publication and Dose-Response Roadmaps, the land contamination sector is invited to be part of that process. We will be holding two workshops to feed into the derivation of the Suitable 4 Use Levels (S4UL); a face to face event will be held in Nottingham on the 8th July and, in recognition of the difficulties some face traveling, a second online event will be held on the 11th July. Further details and booking information for these events are available using the links above.